Monday, May 19, 2008

House of Sand and Fog


I have to read this book for my English final on Tuesday. I'm about half way through and I still cannot get into it. Its a slow read. Both of the main characters are unlikable, but they are unlikable in a bad way. You feel bad for neither of them and I cannot seem to relate to either.
Kathy Nicolo irritates me. She has done nothing with her life. She is also throwing her sobriety away. She can't get her life together and now she is letting herself get carried away with an unavailable man. She only thinks about the present and does not the bigger picture. Her imprudence has caused her to lose her home that she shares ownership with her brother. While the city made a mistake, she decided not to open her mail, thus letting the problem get bigger.
I think I find Kathy far more irritating than Behrani. But he is also a S.O.B. I just feel bad for his wife and son. He doesn't realize that appearing wealthy is only making his financial situation worse.
I'm just so sick of this book.

No comments: